We started Generally Intelligent because that truly intelligent software systems will have a transformative impact on the world. We’re dedicated to ensuring that that impact is a positive one.
We’re funded by researchers from OpenAI, Y Combinator, Lightspeed, Threshold, and many others.
This role is a full cycle recruiting role for someone who is excited about very targeted, extremely long-term recruiting work as we strive to build a world-class team of software engineers and researchers to investigate the fundamental questions of intelligence, knowledge and understanding in support of developing software with human level intelligence.
About the role
- You will work directly with our founders, Kanjun and Josh, who spent the last 5 years building a recruiting startup. You will work with a team that both deeply understands and values recruiting.
- You will have no quotas. You will work on building long-term relationships with amazing candidates that we aim to hire potentially years into the future. We are focused on the long-term, not just getting through the next quarter (oreven the next year).
- You will develop, iterate on, and own recruiting systems and processes from end-to-end.
- You will craft long-term outreach and content strategies for us to build relationships with incredible candidates.
- You will represent Generally Intelligent and engage with candidates at conferences or academic partnerships and events, including ICML, ICLR, NeurIPS, and more.
- You will work with our Executive Assistant to plan events that enable us to meet a wide range of candidates.
- You will work with our part-time sourcer and contract recruiters and agencies so that your time can be spent on the most important, high-level priorities.
- You will write compelling job descriptions and other recruiting material to help attract a diverse set of great candidates.
- You will serve as the main touch-point for candidates from source to close, and ensure a positive end-to-end interview experience for all candidates.
- You love people and enjoy building long-term relationships--both for yourself and on behalf of the organization.
- You are strategic about how to build programs that will scale and set us up for the future.
- You’re deeply interested in machine learning, software engineering, and neuroscience, and are excited about our mission to create safe AI systems that benefit all of humanity.
- You are comfortable being the face of the organization.
- You love building outreach strategies.
- You have good judgment and execute independently, even on projects with significant ambiguity.
- You can connect and relate to a wide range of people, personalities, and values.
- We believe in working with the absolute best people in the world (which is why we pay top of market)
- We believe that there is somethings special about getting the most talented people together in one room, especially for research (which is why we’re fully in-person in SF)
- We believe that curiosity and personal growth are both extremely important (which is why you will have a $30K+ yearly budget for executive coaching, books, courses, conferences, etc)
- We believe that it is critical to not just attract great individuals, but build strong relationships between them (whichis why we have quarterly team off-sites, frequent team dinners, and other events)
- We believe in spending money so that you can work more effectively (which is why are happy to pay for contingency placements, have a part-time sourcer who can help you out, and are willing to get whatever tools you need or want)
- We believe in creating a culture of science and truth-seeking, where no idea is too crazy to consider and no ideas are considered holy (which is why we encourage questions in the middle of company-wide presentations and why we force the most junior members in a meeting to weigh in first)
- We also believe in creating a culture of psychological safety, where everyone feels able to voice their opinion without fear of judgment (which is why we have “Feelings Friday”, where we have space to share how we felt during the week, and why we have a culture manual with a bunch of small habits that help encourage safe, effective communication)
- We believe in having fun, and that being in a positive environment isn't just much more productive, it's just a better way to live (which is why we take Friday afternoons off together as a team, joke around, and join in each others’ hobbies, whether it’s D&D or hiking or meditation)
- We believe that creating software with human level intelligence comes with the responsibility to ensure that it benefits all of humanity, not just a select few (which is why we're creating a public benefit corporation [link to mission], why we’re interested in safety research [link to podcast], and why we have internal working groups on safety [link to thoughts about safety]).
How to apply
All submissions are reviewed by a person, so we encourage you to include a cover letter.
We try to reply either way within a week or two at most (usually much sooner).